Gain access to a world-class education at Occidental College – With a highly selective acceptance rate, join a community of diverse and intellectually curious students on a path to academic excellence.
Every year, Occidental College receives many applications from students eager to join the prestigious institution. The college application process can be an exciting but daunting task for many students and their families. Understanding the acceptance rate is an important part of the process, as it provides an idea of the level of competition for a spot at Occidental.
The acceptance rate at Occidental College is highly selective, which means that the competition for a spot is fierce. The admissions committee takes a holistic approach when reviewing applications, which means they look at the whole student, not just their grades and test scores. They consider factors such as academic achievements, extracurricular activities, personal character, and potential for success in college.
Prospective students should know that the admissions process is not only about numbers but also about understanding the unique qualities and characteristics that make you stand out. The admissions committee is looking for students who are not only academically strong but also have a passion for learning and a commitment to personal and intellectual growth.
In addition, the admissions committee values diversity and is looking for a diverse group of students who bring different perspectives and experiences to the campus. They consider the contributions you have made to your school, community, and family, and also your potential to make a positive impact on the Occidental College community.
In this article, you will uncover the secrets of the acceptance rate at Occidental College. Dive in, and discover the ins and outs of securing a spot at our prestigious institution.
What Is Occidental Acceptance Rate?
The acceptance rate for Occidental College is 37%, which means that out of every 1000 applicants, only 370 are accepted. That indicates that the admissions process at Occidental College is quite selective, and many applicants may be turned away.
Occidental College’s SAT score
Occidental College’s average SAT score composite of 1370 on the 1600 scale. This score makes the college a moderately competitive choice for those taking the SAT.
What’s Special About Occidental College?
Occidental College is special because of its strong liberal arts education that emphasizes interdisciplinary and experiential learning, allowing students to explore a variety of subjects and create their individualized college is also known for its strong programs in the arts, sciences, and humanities, and it has a strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Occidental College admission process
The Occidental College admission process can be broken down into several key steps:
- Review the college’s application requirements: Before applying, make sure you understand the specific requirements of the college, including the application deadline, test scores, and transcripts.
- Complete the online application: Occidental College’s application can be completed online. Before starting the application, ensure you have all the necessary documents, such as transcripts, test scores, and essays.
- Submit test scores: Occidental College requires either the SAT or the ACT. Make sure to have your scores sent directly to the college.
- Submit transcripts: Request transcripts from your high school to be sent directly to the college.
- Submit letters of recommendation: Occidental College requires one letter of recommendation from a teacher or counselor.
- Submit essays: The college requires one essay with a choice of prompts.
- Submit additional materials: Some programs may require additional materials, such as a portfolio, audition, or writing samples.
- Check your application status: Once you’ve submitted your application, you’ll be able to check the status of your application online.
- Interview (optional): Some applicants may be invited for an interview with an admission representative.
- Decision: You’ll receive a decision from the college about your application.
It’s important to note that the college also looks at the student’s academic record, extracurricular activities, and personal achievements.
Also, the college has a holistic admission process, which means that they will consider the student as a whole person and not just by the numbers.
It’s also worth noting that the college is test-optional. So you can decide whether or not to submit your test scores as part of your application.
Occidental College GPA Requirements
Occidental College has a minimum GPA requirement of 3.64 for prospective students. This means that to be considered for admission, you should have a high school GPA above average, with a mix of mostly A’s and some B’s.
Is Occidental College An Ivy League School?
No, Occidental College is not an Ivy League school. Ivy League schools are a group of eight prestigious universities in the Northeastern United States. They consist of Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Columbia, Brown, Dartmouth, Cornell, and the University of Pennsylvania. Occidental College is a liberal arts college located in Los Angeles, California.
Occidental College Scholarship for International Students
Occidental College provides merit-based scholarships for international students who apply, awarded to students who demonstrate exceptional academic, extracurricular, and personal achievement. However, the availability of need-based financial aid for international students is limited and highly competitive.
It is important to note that Occidental College only offers financial aid to a small number of international students each year. Therefore, international students who can cover the cost of attendance should expect to receive something other than need-based financial aid.
International students seeking need-based financial assistance must complete the International Student Financial Aid Application (ISFAA) in addition to their application to the college. It is advisable to submit the ISFAA and the application to increase the chances of being considered for need-based financial aid.
International students are also encouraged to apply for external scholarships through organizations and foundations providing international students funding.
Occidental College Tuition Fees
As of 2023, the tuition fee for full-time students (enrolled in 12-18 credit hours) at Occidental College is $57,790. For part-time students (enrolled in less than 12 credit hours), the fee is $1,890 per credit hour.
Popular Majors at Occidental College
Occidental College offers a wide range of majors for students to choose from, but some of the most popular majors include:
- Biology: This major focuses on studying living organisms, their characteristics, and their interactions with each other and the environment.
- Economics: This major provides students with a strong foundation in the principles of micro and macroeconomics and the tools necessary to analyze economic data and policy.
- Environmental Studies: This interdisciplinary major deals with understanding today’s complex environmental issues.
- International Studies: This major is designed for students interested in studying international relations, global governance, politics, cultures, and economies of different regions.
- Political Science: This major provides students with a comprehensive understanding of the political systems and processes that shape our world, including studying political theory, American politics, comparative politics, and international relations.
- Psychology: This major aims to provide students with an understanding of the mind and behavior, including the study of cognitive, developmental, social, and abnormal psychology.
- Sociology: This major focuses on the study of social behavior, institutions, and organization, with a particular emphasis on the study of how societies change over time.
- Film/Cinema/Media Studies: This major aims to give students an in-depth understanding of film and media production’s history, theory, and practice.
- Biochemistry: This major aims to provide students with an understanding of the chemical processes that occur in living organisms.
- Cognitive Science: This interdisciplinary major focuses on the study of the mind, brain, and intelligence, including the study of perception, attention, memory, and decision-making.
- English Language and Literature: This major aims to provide students with a deep understanding of literature and the English language, including studying literature, language, and culture.
- Computer Science: This major aims to provide students with a solid foundation in computer science and related fields, including the study of programming, algorithms, data structures, computer architecture, and software engineering.
Research Opportunities and Facilities at Occidental College
Occidental College provides various research opportunities and facilities for students to explore their academic interests and gain hands-on experience. Some of the research opportunities and facilities available at the college include:
- Undergraduate Research Program: The college offers an Undergraduate Research Program that allows students to work on independent research projects under the guidance of a faculty mentor.
- Research Centers and Institutes: The college has several research centers and institutes that focus on specific areas of study, such as the Center for Environmental Studies, the Center for Oxy Research and Scholarship, and the Center for Digital Liberal Arts.
- Labs and Equipment: The college has a variety of labs and equipment available for student use, including biology and chemistry labs, computer labs, and a language lab.
- Library: The college’s library provides students with various research resources, including books, journals, and databases. The library also has specialized research support services, such as research consultations, workshops, and reference assistance.
- Study Abroad Programs: The college offers study abroad programs that allow students to conduct research in other countries and gain a global perspective on their field of study.
- Fellowships and Grants: The college also provides students with a wide range of opportunities to receive funding for their research through various fellowships and grants.
Occidental College Campus Life
Occidental College has a picturesque and historic campus with a mix of traditional and modern architecture. The campus is in a neighborhood in Eagle Rock, Los Angeles, California. The campus spans approximately 50 acres and features numerous academic and administrative buildings, residence halls, and recreational facilities.
The college’s beautiful and well-maintained grounds include gardens, lawns, and outdoor seating areas, providing students with a peaceful and inviting environment to study and relax. The college also has several outdoor recreational facilities such as tennis courts, a swimming pool, and a track and field.
Occidental College Students Organizations
Occidental College has many student-run clubs and organizations that cover diverse interests. Some examples of student organizations at Occidental College include:
- Academic clubs focus on specific fields of study or majors, such as the Economics Club, Psychology Club, Math Club, etc.
- Cultural clubs: These clubs promote and celebrate the diversity of cultures on campus, such as the African Student Alliance, Asian Pacific Islander Student Alliance, Latinx Student Alliance, etc.
- Special interest clubs focus on specific topics or activities, such as Environmental Club, Entrepreneurship Club, Debate Club, etc.
- Media clubs: These clubs focus on different types of Media, such as Oxy FM Radio Station, Oxy TV, Oxy Arts, etc.
- Service clubs: These clubs focus on community service and volunteerism, such as Community Service Club, Global Medical Brigades, etc.
- Political clubs: These clubs focus on political issues, such as College Democrats, College Republicans, etc.
- Recreational clubs focus on leisure activities, such as Outdoor Adventure Club, Oxy Gaming Club, etc.
Occidental College Sports
Occidental College is a member of the NCAA Division III and offers a variety of intercollegiate sports teams for both men and women. The college’s sports teams include:
- Men’s Sports: Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Soccer, Swimming & Diving, Tennis, Track & Field, Water Polo
- Women’s Sports: Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming & Diving, Tennis, Track & Field, and Volleyball.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I get admitted into Occidental College with a 2.0 GPA?
It is unlikely that a student with a 2.0 GPA will be admitted to Occidental College, as the college typically looks for students with strong academic records. However, the admissions office takes a holistic approach in reviewing applications and considers factors such as extracurricular activities, letters of recommendation, and personal essays in addition to GPA.
How many transfer students enroll at Oxy each year?
Occidental College generally admits a limited number of transfer students for spring and fall semesters. On average, 5-10 transfer students are accepted for spring admission and 30-40 for fall admission. Transfers make up a small portion of the student body, accounting for approximately 8% of total enrollment.
Are transfer students eligible for financial aid and merit scholarships?
Transfer students are eligible for financial aid and merit scholarships at Occidental College, but aid availability is limited and highly competitive. It is important to submit the International Student Financial Aid Application (ISFAA) along with the application to increase the chances of being considered for need-based financial aid.
Are interviews required for transfer applicants?
Transfer applicants are not obligated to participate in an interview. However, it is highly recommended as it allows them to share their unique experiences and gain further insight into Occidental College.
Are students required to live on campus?
Yes, Occidental College believes living on campus is vital to the college experience. First- and second-year students are required to live on campus, and upper-level students are strongly encouraged to do so.
What is Occidental College’s acceptance rate for transfer students?
Occidental College’s acceptance rate for transfer students is around 18.55%. This indicates that the college is selective in its transfer admissions process, and it’s important for transfer applicants to present a strong application with good academic records, extracurricular activities, letters of recommendation, and personal essays.
What is the student-to-faculty ratio at Occidental College?
The student-to-faculty ratio at Occidental College is 9:1, meaning that there is one faculty member for every nine students. This low ratio allows for smaller class sizes and more personalized attention from professors.
Are there any specific requirements for international students applying to Occidental College?
International students applying to Occidental College are required to submit proof of English proficiency, such as TOEFL or IELTS scores, as well as additional financial documentation, such as the International Student Financial Aid Application (ISFAA)
Are there any opportunities for internships or co-op programs at Occidental College?
Yes, Occidental College offers a variety of internship and co-op opportunities for students to gain real-world experience in their field of study. The college’s Career Services office assists in finding and applying for internships and co-op programs.
If Occidental College is your dream school, we encourage you to apply and take the time to showcase your unique talents and experiences in your application. The admissions process at Occidental College is highly competitive, and the acceptance rate reflects that.
However, it is important to remember that a college’s acceptance rate does not define your worth as a student or your potential to succeed at that institution. The admissions committee looks at each applicant holistically, considering their academic achievements, extracurricular activities, and personal background.
As you prepare your application, it’s essential to highlight the aspects of your background and experiences that make you an ideal fit for Occidental College.
The college looks for students who are passionate about learning and eager to contribute to the college community. They want to see how you have taken advantage of the opportunities available to you and how you have made a difference in your community.
Remember, the admissions process is about numbers and statistics and finding the right fit for you. We wish you the best of luck in your college search and application journey. You have the potential to succeed at Occidental College.